You will find web banners everywhere online; inserted into a blog post your reading, or running along side an article on a popular blog site. For most blogs it can be their main source of revenue, for the advertisers – it can be a huge opportunity to reach a more specific market audience.
As designers, we want to see a clean, well-designed banner that conveys the message appropriately. Uncluttered, clean and to the point I find to be the most effective.
I’ve put together a collection of creative web banner ad designs for your design inspiration. Designers, keep these key elements in mind when you are designing a web banner:
- Where will they be advertising? Find out their marketing channels current banner ads to see what the competition looks like – then find a way to stand out among the crowd while still staying true to your clients brand.
- Who is their target audience? Don’t design a very modern, bright, wild conceptual banner if the target audience is of the mature age range. Stay on your target audience’s level.
- What are they selling? What is the message? Be sure your imagery (if applicable) matches the message / product – there is no need to confuse the user.
- Limit the amount of content required on the banner design (less is sometimes much more!)
- Get creative! Some of the most interesting designs break the banner borderlines – which draw more attention from the user, as it stands out against the crowd of banners.